The new cabinet for the New South Wales Government has been sworn in under the leadership of Premier Gladys Berejiklian, and includes a new housing minister and a new ministerial portfolio for the WestConnex project.
Anthony Roberts was appointed the new Minister for Planning, Minister for Housing, and Special Minister of State, and Stuart Ayres was appointed as Minister for Australia’s largest infrastructure project, WestConnex.
James Constance will continue as the Minister for Transport and Infrastructure.
NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, and Deputy Premier, John Barilaro, said the fresh team would ensure every community gets its fair share of the state’s economic success.
“Our new team will work hard to make life easier for people right across NSW,” Ms Berejiklian said.
Deputy Premier Barilaro will take on the role of Minister for Regional NSW, along with the Skills and Small Business portfolios.
Ms Berejiklian said the new team would make sure each community across NSW received the services and infrastructure it needed.
“We will deliver local infrastructure and services on the ground, to every corner of the state, maintain a strong economy and ensure we tackle major challenges such as housing affordability,” Ms Berejiklian said.
Non-profit organisation representing property developers, The Urban Taskforce, said Premier Berejiklian’s new ministry must drive housing supply and ensure NSW retains its position as Australia’s leading state.
Urban Taskforce CEO, Chris Johnson, said, “The new ministry announced by NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian is a very talented and competent team, capable of ensuring the continued success of the high-performing NSW economy.
“In particular, the appointment of the Hon. Anthony Roberts as Minister for Planning and Minister for Housing is an excellent choice.
“His past achievements and experience, including overhauling the ageing NSW strata system, make him very well placed to improve the lacklustre performance of the NSW planning system.”
Mr Johnson said the Urban Taskforce was keen to work with Mr Roberts on ways to drive more housing completions throughout NSW, in particular in the Sydney metropolitan area.
“We believe there are many aspects of the NSW planning system and the Draft District Plans for Sydney which greatly hinder the supply of new housing. Given the current housing affordability crisis, changes must be made to address this problem.
“Minister Roberts should look at restrictive land use zones and development controls that prevent adequate housing supply and onerous conditions of consent which lead to only 58 per cent of housing approvals become real houses or apartments.
“Other key issues include lengthy bureaucratic approval processes which create delays and blockages in the planning system and excessive levies and fees which drive up the cost of housing.”
The New South Wales Cabinet Ministers include:
- The Honourable Gladys Berejiklian MP Premier
- The Honourable (John) Giovanni Domenic Barilaro MP – Deputy Premier, Minister for Regional New South Wales, Minister for Skills, and Minister for Small Business
- The Honourable Dominic Francis Perrottet MP – Treasurer, and Minister for Industrial Relations
- The Honourable Niall Mark Blair MLC – Minister for Primary Industries, Minister for Regional Water, and Minister for Trade and Industry
- The Honourable Donald Thomas Harwin MLC – Minister for Resources, Minister for Energy and Utilities, Minister for the Arts, and Vice-President of the Executive Council
- The Honourable Anthony John Roberts MP – Minister for Planning, Minister for Housing, and Special Minister of State
- The Honourable Andrew James Constance MP – Minister for Transport and Infrastructure
- The Honourable Bradley Ronald Hazzard MP – Minister for Health, and Minister for Medical Research
- The Honourable Robert Gordon Stokes MP – Minister for Education
- The Honourable Mark Raymond Speakman SC MP – Attorney General
- The Honourable Troy Wayne Grant MP – Minister for Police, and Minister for Emergency Services
- The Honourable Victor Michael Dominello MP – Minister for Finance, Services and Property
- The Honourable Prudence Jane Goward MP – Minister for Family and Community Services, Minister for Social Housing, and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
- The Honourable Paul Lawrence Toole MP – Minister for Lands and Forestry, and Minister for Racing
- The Honourable David Andrew Elliott MP – Minister for Counter Terrorism, Minister for Corrections, and Minister for Veterans Affairs
- The Honourable Gabrielle Cecilia Upton MP – Minister for the Environment, Minister for Local Government, and Minister for Heritage
- The Honourable Stuart Laurence Ayres MP – Minister for Western Sydney, Minister for WestConnex, and Minister for Sport
- The Honourable Melinda Jane Pavey MP – Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight
- The Honourable Matthew John Kean MP – Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation
- The Honourable Adam John Marshall MP – Minister for Tourism and Major Events, and Assistant Minister for Skills
- The Honourable Tanya Davies MP – Minister for Mental Health, Minister for Women, and Minister for Ageing
- The Honourable Sarah Mitchell MLC – Minister for Early Childhood Education, Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and Assistant Minister for Education
- The Honourable Raymond Craig Williams MP – Minister for Multiculturalism, and Minister for Disability Services