Three groups have been shortlisted to help revitalise Sydney’s biggest railway station, Central Station, including delivering the underground Central Walk concourse and Sydney Metro platforms.
The groups that will be invited to tender for the Central Station Main Works contract are:
- Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction
- CPB Contractors and John Holland joint venture
- Lendlease Engineering/Lendlease Building
The contract includes construction of Central Walk and the new Sydney Metro platforms under Central, and is expected to be awarded in the first quarter of 2018 as part of the Sydney Metro City and Southwest project, which is stage two of Sydney Metro.
Central is the backbone of Sydney’s public transport network, with more than 250,000 people passing through the station every day.
That number is expected to grow to 450,000 in the next two decades.
Central Walk will better connect customers to trains, buses, light rail and the new Sydney Metro.
Main features of Central Walk include:
- A 19m wide tunnel from Chalmers Street, linking to new metro platforms under Central
- New, easy access points to Sydney Trains platforms 16 to 23
- Escalators directly to suburban platforms for the first time