The Northern Territory Government has released a discussion draft regarding its Economic Development Framework and Ten Year Infrastructure Strategy in order to plan for future growth in the state.
Planning for a Vibrant Future aims to harmonise land use planning with the Government’s overall strategy for developing the Northern Territory. It is intended to guide future planning so that development continues sequentially and builds on, and is supported by, sound planning principles and the NT Planning Scheme.
The vision has been created to help the state plan ahead and provide a framework for infrastructure investment in all towns and cities of the Territory. Land development allows industries and local firms to invest and develop, it creates jobs to ensure a growing, vibrant and energetic community, and enables diverse urban environments.
Planning for a Vibrant Future focuses on key growth areas, creating individual visions for key towns and cities including:
- Darwin, Australia’s Northern Capital
- Palmerston, The Family City
- Darwin’s Rural Areas, Unique Rural Lifestyle
- Weddell, A New Tropical City
- Cox Peninsula, Saltwater Living
- Katherine, A Logistics and Agribusiness Hub
- Tennant Creek, A Mining Services Centre
- Alice Springs, Australia’s Inland Capital
- Nhulunbuy, Arnhem’s Peninsula Paradise
- Regional and Remote, Our Cultural Landscape
The release of this discussion draft is the first stage in seeking ideas about planning for a vibrant future for the Northern Territory.