Nine Adelaide metropolitan blackspots will be upgraded as part of the South Australian Government’s latest $22 million investment in road safety infrastructure improvements.
The program will fund works such as the installation of new traffic signals, intersection upgrades and roundabouts.
New traffic signals will be installed at the intersections of Bridge Road and Maxwell Road, Para Hills; and Main North Road, Dalkeith Road and Smith Road, Kudla with the objective of improving safety for all road users.
Minister for Road Safety, Chris Picton, said 2017 saw 101 fatalities on South Australian roads.
“The State Government remains focused on reducing deaths and injuries on our roads, and our investment in infrastructure plays a critical role in achieving these goals.
“We are committed to improving road infrastructure right across the state and this $22 million investment in the metropolitan roads will go a long way towards increasing safety, particularly at blackspot locations.
“33 per cent of fatal crashes on metropolitan roads were at intersections, and through constant analysis of road crash statistics we are able to identify the priority locations for upgrade works.”
A new roundabout at the intersection of Yorktown Road and Blair Park Drive, Craigmore, will improve safety for families attending Craigmore South Primary School and Hope Christian College as well as improving safety for all other road users at this location.
Local Councils, in partnership with the State Government, will contribute approximately $400,000 in total across three blackspot projects at the Morphett Street and Gouger Street intersection.
The South Australian Government will also fund a $17 million investment for a range of treatments aimed at increasing safety across the regional road network as part of the rural road safety infrastructure program.
The works will include intersection upgrades at Barrier Highway at Copperhouse Road and Springbank Road, Burra; and Goolwa Road and Winery Road, Currency Creek, to reduce the risk of turning and rear end crashes.
Shoulder sealing will be undertaken on the Riddoch Highway between Padthaway and Naracoorte, which will complete shoulder sealing for the full length of the Riddoch Highway between Keith and Mount Gambier.
In addition, audio tactile line marking will be applied along the full length of the Riddoch Highway between Keith and Mount Gambier, which is aimed at reducing the risk of head-on collisions.
Roads with a high motorcycle crash rate will also continue to be targeted for safety improvements to help reduce motorcycle rider deaths and injuries.
The State Government is spending $341 million over four years on regional road safety and maintenance, with dedicated programs such as the Regional Roads Package, Yorke Peninsula Regional Road Network Upgrade and investment in the Riverland region under the National Highway Upgrade Program.
Adelaide metropolitan road safety projects funded under the 2017-18 and 2018-19 DPTI Annual Program:
- Main North Road, Dalkeith Road and Smith Road intersection, Kudla – $3.9 million for the installation of new traffic signals
- Bridge Road and Maxwell Road intersection, Para Hills – $4.4 million for the installation of new traffic signals
- OG Road and Payneham Road intersection, Payneham – $3.8 million intersection upgrade including extending right turn lanes
- Fitzroy Terrace, Main North Road and Robe Terrace, Fitzroy – $3.1 million to upgrade the intersection, including additional lanes and modifications
- Yorktown Road and Blair Park Drive, Craigmore – $1.6 million for the installation of a new roundabout
- Dyson Road and Beach Rd, Christies Beach – $692,000 for a signalised intersection upgrade
- Regency Road and Churchill Road, Prospect – $150,000 for the addition of a right hand turn lane on Regency Road
- Morphett Road and Oaklands Road, Glengowrie – $409,000 for a signalised intersection upgrade
- Greenhill Road and Portrush Road intersection, Burnside – $300,000 pedestrian safety upgrade
- Tapleys Hill Road, Brighton Road and Anzac Highway intersection, Glenelg – $822,000 for the addition of a right hand turn lane on Anzac Highway
- Greenhill Road between Fullarton Road and Beaumont Road, Eastwood – $1.14 million mid-block upgrade including U turn slots and installing bike lanes
- Morphett Street and Gouger Street, Adelaide – $308,000 State Government contribution for kerb extensions and signal relocations
- Harvey Road and Ridley Road, Craigmore – $240,000 State Government contribution for the installation of a new roundabout
Morphett Road and Stonehouse Avenue, Camden Park – $293,000 State Government contribution for the installation of a new roundabout
Rural road safety projects funded under the 2017-18 and 2018-19 DPTI Annual Program:
- Goolwa Road and Winery Road, Currency Creek – $1.29 million intersection safety upgrade
- Barrier Highway at Copperhouse Road and Springbank Road, Burra – $1.6 million upgrade to include staggered T intersection, left-hand deceleration lane and lighting upgrade
- Victor Harbor Road and Agnes Gillespie Drive, Hayborough – $1 million intersection upgrade to install a channelised right turn lane
- Victor Harbor-Goolwa Road and Boettcher Road, Middleton – $735,000 intersection upgrade to improve sight-lines and install a left turn lane
- Victor Harbor Road and Arthur Road, Mount Compass – $600,000 to install a channelised right turn lane on Victor Harbor Road
- Swanport Road, Bridge Street and Mannum Road intersection, Murray Bridge – $415,000 to install traffic signals and intersection widening
- Princes Highway and Clay Wells Road / Penola Road intersections – $250,000 to improve shoulder sealing and install radar activated message signs on approaches
- RM Williams Way, Spalding – $310,000 for shoulder sealing and safety barrier installation
- Barrier Highway, Clare – $65,000 for safety barrier installation
- Bordertown – Naracoorte Road, Tatiara – $75,000 for the installation of Retro Reflective pavement markers
- Mount Burr Road, between Millicent and Penola – $70,000 for the installation of Retro Reflective pavement markers
- Motorcycle Safety Improvements on Tippet Road and Gorge Road – $400,000
- Audio Tactile Line Marking on Riddoch Highway between Keith and Mount Gambier – $650,000
Radar activated speed limit signs at the following intersections ($300,000 total):
- Cudlee Creek Road and Fox Creek Road
- Paris Creek Road and Bull Creek Road
- McLaren Flat Road and Baker Gully Road
- Horrocks Highway and Stradbrooke Road
Sealing road shoulders on priority sections of:
- Karoonda Highway, between Loxton and Murray-Bridge – $900,000
- Balaklava Road, between Balaklava and Halbury – $1.36 million
- Riddoch Highway, between Padthaway and Naracoorte – $750,000
- Princes Highway, between Kingston and Millicent – $3.3 million
- Horrocks Highway, south of Yacka – $1.3 million
- Owen Road, between Owen and Hamley Bridge – $500,000
- Southern Ports Highway, between Kingston and Robe – Two locations $245,000 and $800,000
- Wimmera Highway, between Hynam and SA-Victoria border – $350,000