The contract for $40 million worth of design, planning and site inspections for bridge, culvert, road widening and intersection upgrades across regional South Australia has been awarded.
McConnelI Dowell Construction will undertake these projects to improve productivity and safety for the thousands of motorists who use these regional roads every day and better cater for high productivity freight vehicles.
Transport and Infrastructure Minister, Stephen Mullighan, said investing in these upgrades will also have a big impact on productivity for primary producers and transport operators, which in turn benefits our regions and the economy more broadly.
“The State Labor Government is investing more than half a billion dollars in maintaining and upgrading our road network, with $341 million being spent in regional areas.
“By contrast the Liberal Party’s promise to restrict country road funding to just 30 per cent of the State’s mining royalties represents a 20 per cent cut.”
Construction will commence later in 2018 with works expected to be completed in mid-2019 and will support 106 jobs.
The upgrades will include:
- Widening and guard rail upgrades on the Sturt Highway at Bookmark Creek Bridge (Renmark)
- Widening and guard rail upgrades on the Sturt Highway at Salt Creek Bridge (Renmark)
- Construction of a shared use path and bridge adjacent Bookmark and Salt Creek road bridges on the Sturt Highway
- Widening and guard rail upgrades on the Sturt Highway of the River Murray Flood Plains bridges at Paringa
- Widening guard rail upgrades on the Sturt Highway of Kingston Bridge (Kingston on Murray)
- Replacement of Inverbrackie Bridge on Onkaparinga Valley Road near Woodside
- An intersection upgrade at Onkaparinga Valley Road and River View Road, Woodside
- Widening of the Rocky River Bridge on the Augusta Highway
- Replacement of Altona Bridge on Barossa Valley Way near Lyndoch
- Replacement of Farrell Flat Bridge on Farrell Flat Road near Farrell Flat
- Replacement of Farrell Flat culvert on Farrell Flat Road near Farrell Flat
- Replacement of Lyndoch Bridge on the Barossa Valley Way near Lyndoch
- Widening of Skillies Bridge on Balaklava Road near Auburn
- Replacement of Stott Highway Bridge on Stott Highway near Angaston
- Various bridge and culvert upgrades on the route between Murray Bridge and Lobethal