The Victorian Budget 2018/19 will include an investment in the Suburban Roads Upgrade which includes a $2.2 billion package to upgrade 13 arterial roads across the northern and south-eastern suburbs.
Alongside major upgrades to key roads like Plenty Road, O’Herns Road and the Chandler Highway, this brings the State Government’s investment in tackling suburban congestion to over $5 billion since being elected – an unprecedented cash injection in the roads that local people rely on every day.
Victorian Premier, Daniel Andrews, said the upgrades “will slash travel times, improve connections between our fastest growing communities and give local roads back to local residents”.
More than $1 billion will be spent to widen and improve safety on roads across the northern suburbs, including Sunbury Road, Craigieburn Road, Epping Road and Childs Road.
Bridge Inn Road in Doreen will also be upgraded as the Northern Roads Upgrade delivers stage two of the Yan Yean Road duplication.
To support growing communities in Melbourne’s south-eastern suburbs, the South Eastern Roads Upgrade will see massive improvements to roads including Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road in Pakenham, Lathams Road in Carrum Downs, Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road in Cranbourne, and Pound Road West in Dandenong South.
These high priority upgrades will be delivered within five years and will be overseen by the Major Road Projects Authority – a new dedicated authority to deliver the State Government’s more than $14.9 billion pipeline of major road projects.
The upgrades will reduce congestion and travel times, improve safety and connect communities across the western, outer-northern and south-eastern suburbs.
Minister for Roads and Road Safety, Luke Donnellan, said, “With work already underway on the Western Roads Upgrade, now drivers across the city – from Werribee to Pakenham, from Doreen to Dingley – will have better roads to get home sooner.”
Northern Roads Upgrade:
- Duplicate Craigieburn Road between Mickleham Road and Hume Freeway in Craigieburn
- Widening Sunbury Road from two lanes to four between Powlett Street and Bulla-Diggers Rest Road in Sunbury
- Duplicating Bridge Inn Road between Plenty Road and Yan Yean Road, and Yan Yean Road between Kurrak Road and Bridge Inn Road in Doreen
- Duplicating Epping Road from two to four lanes between Craigieburn Road East and Memorial Avenue
- Upgrading three intersections at Main Road, Porter Street and Foote Street on Fitzsimons Lane in Eltham
- Duplicating Childs Road in Mill Park from Beaumont Crescent to Prince of Wales Avenue
South Eastern Roads Upgrade:
- Duplicating Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road in Pakenham from two to four lanes between Princes Freeway and Manks Road
- Duplicating Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road in Cranbourne from two to four lanes between Thompsons Road and South Gippsland Highway
- Duplicating Lathams Road in Seaford from two to four lanes between Oliphant Way and Dandenong-Frankston Road, including a new bridge over Peninsula Link
- Widening Pound Road West/Remington Drive in Dandenong South from two to four lanes between Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway, with a new bridge over the Cranbourne rail line
- Duplicating Hallam North Road from two to four lanes between Heatherton Road and James Cook Drive
- Intersection and road safety upgrades on Golf Links Road from Peninsula Link to Baxter-Tooradin Road and Grant Road from Baxter-Tooradin Road to Frankston-Flinders Road in Langwarrin South
- Upgrading two intersections with traffic lights on Thompsons Road in Cranbourne
Western Roads Upgrade:
- Widening Dunnings Road from two to four lanes and Palmers Road between Point Cook Road to Princes Freeway from two to six lanes in Point Cook
- Widening Palmers Road between Princes Freeway to Western Freeway from two to four lanes in Truganina
- Duplicating Derrimut Road between Sayers Road and Dohertys Road from two to four lanes in Tarneit
- Widening Leakes Road between Fitzgerald Road and Derrimut Road from two to four lanes in Truganina
- Duplicating Dohertys Road between Fitzgerald Road and Grieve Parade from two to four lanes in Laverton North
- Widening Dohertys Road between Foundation Road and Palmers Road from two to four lanes in Truganina
- Widening the Forsyth Road/Princes Freeway interchange in Hoppers Crossing
- Rebuilding the bridge and adding new entry and exit ramps at the Duncans Road/Princes Freeway interchange in Werribee South