An early concept design for the South Australian Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade, have been released for community consultation.
The $13 million project, jointly funded by the Australian and South Australian Governments, will improve travel times, network reliability and safety for all users.
Consultation closes Friday 20 March, and feedback provided will help inform the detailed design for the intersection upgrade.
Federal Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure, Alan Tudge, said the intersection was notorious for serious traffic accidents.
“This upgrade is essential to make sure we get locals home sooner and safer,” Mr Tudge said.
“We want to reduce the risk of drivers getting into accidents, injured, or worse.”
On average, more than 81,550 vehicles travel through the intersection each day.
Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government, Stephan Knoll, said this project formed part of the Marshall Government’s record $12.9 billion pipeline of infrastructure works.
“We are building more infrastructure and upgrading more roads than ever before in our state’s history to bust congestion, reduce travel times and create jobs,” Minister Knoll said.
“Main North Road is a major traffic and freight route that connects the northern parts of metropolitan Adelaide with Adelaide’s Central Business District and the current intersection is operating at capacity in peak periods.
“That’s why this upgrade is so important, it will boost freight productivity in the northern suburbs and reduce travel times for all motorists.”
Site investigation works, to identify the location and depth of all utility services in the vicinity of the proposed upgrade, are underway which forms part of the early design process.
Early works are expected to commence in the second quarter of 2020, with major construction expected to commence in late 2020.
A total of 77 crashes were recorded at this intersection during the five-year period between 2014 and 2018, including one that caused a fatality and 25 causing injury.
The current proposed treatments for the intersection upgrade include:
- Widening of Main North Road (in both directions)
- Installation of an additional right turn lane into Kings Road, and three through lanes heading south on Main North Road
- Installation of an additional right turn lane into McIntyre Road, and three through lanes heading north on Main North Road
- Installation of additional through lane on Main North Road between Freda Thompson Place and Kings Road (north-east bound)
- Installation of additional through lane on Main North Road between McIntyre Road and Kesters Road (south-west bound)
- Extension of dual right turn lanes heading north-east from McIntyre Road onto Main North Road
- Separation of left turn traffic from Main North Road onto Kings Road and left turn traffic from Kings Road onto Lawrence Hargrave Way
- New and upgraded pedestrian ramps and footpaths around the intersection
- Dedicated bicycle lanes on both approaches of Main North Road
- New and upgraded traffic signals, road lighting, line marking, and drainage