North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation (NQBP) is delivering an upgrade to pipeline facilities at the Port of Mackay’s Wharf 1 with a $10 million investment. 

NQBP CEO, Brendan Webb, said that the project was a key priority for the North Queensland port authority.

“This project will see the replacement and undergrounding of around 1km of pipeline infrastructure,” Mr Webb said.

“The pipelines are currently used to supply ethanol, water, diesel, and petroleum to ships visiting Wharf 1.

“This project aims to provide greater resilience to the overall infrastructure and ensure the longevity of the pipeline system.” 

Fuel is the Port of Mackay’s largest commodity by volume, with almost 1.6 million tonnes passing through the Port in financial year 2022-23.

Approximately 90 per cent of this fuel is transported for use at mines located in the Bowen Basin, with the remaining 10 per cent distributed to local fuel stations.

The port has already clocked up 2.46 million tonnes of cargo in financial year 2023-24, surpassing throughput in the same period of the previous financial year (2.07 million tonnes).

“The strong trade performance at the Port of Mackay reflects its pivotal role as a leading service centre for agricultural and mining industries,” Mr Webb said.

“The port provides an essential connection between regional Queensland and the world, boasting trading links to neighbouring countries in Asia as well as New Zealand and North America.

“We’re continuing to invest in Port of Mackay infrastructure to boost our capabilities.” 

NQBP also announced the project contract has been awarded to local company, Wisely Group.

Wisely Group Account Manager Ports and Infrastructure, Rodney Parfitt, said that they were looking forward to delivering the project.

“We are thrilled to have been selected by NQBP for this crucial project at Mackay Harbour,” Mr Parfitt said.

“This contract underscores our expertise in port infrastructure upgrades and commitment to providing sustainable and reliable solutions.

“We look forward to collaborating with NQBP and delivering a project that will contribute to the regional economy and improve the efficiency of port operations at Mackay Harbour.” 

Wisely is planned to be onsite before the end of April with construction expected to be completed in early 2025.

“NQBP is one of Australia’s key gateways to trade, providing security, growth, and prosperity for our local North Queensland communities,” Mr Webb said.

“Our ports are flexible and capable of sustainably addressing the trade requirements of Queensland and the communities and stakeholders we serve.”

Related articles

Leave a reply

©2024 Infrastructure Magazine. All rights reserved


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.


Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?